POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Wrinkle free 3 point patch -or- Jpatch anticipation : Re: Wrinkle free 3 point patch -or- Jpatch anticipation Server Time
4 Aug 2024 04:15:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Wrinkle free 3 point patch -or- Jpatch anticipation
From: sascha
Date: 30 Jul 2003 03:29:03
Message: <3f2773bf@news.povray.org>
Breton Slivka wrote:

> This is a vague idea, from a vague understanding, and you're probably
> already way ahead of me on this...
>
> as I understand it, it is a fairly simple matter to subdivide a 4 point
> patch into two 4 point patches, by just substituting boundary points,
> with control points, and interpolating intermediate control points.
> (Which in itself would be a nice feature in a patch model, to arbitrarily
> subdivide a patch)
>
> Anyways, with the paper on 3 5 and 6 sided patches, you are provided with
> mathematical definitions (A bit hard to swallow) for 3 and 5 points
> patches, along with patterns for control points.
>
> Couldn't the same principle for subdividing 4 point patches into 2 4
> point patches be applied here? You could start with a 5 point patch
> definition, and then subdivide into  5 4-point patches by substituting
> control points in the 5 point patch definition into boundary edges for
> new 4 point patches, and interpolate the individual control points in the
> same manner you would when subdividing a 4 point patch?
>
> Stop me if this all sounds stupid, or obvious...

Let's use the five-point patch as an exaple. I'd like to subdivid it in
a way where a center (of the patch) connects to the center of each
edge-curve-segment - this way I'll get 5 4-sided patches (see the paper
by Martin Hash I mentioned in my previous porting for a diagram).

Subdividing the edge-bezier-curves is a simple de Casteljau operation -
I've had some problems with finding the patch center, put the paper
posted by Rune has the solution for that (at least I think so). The only
problem that needs to be solved is finding the control-points for the 5
new curves that origin from the center. And - all in all - I'm not sure
that those five new patches will connect 100 percent smoothly.

All I can do is playing around with patches by trail and error, but it
would be better to have a sort of a mathematical proove, but that's
beyond my means...

-sascha